Veterinary Medical Oncology
Jerome Gagnon, DVM, DACVIM (Oncology)
Dr. Gagnon joined Animal Health Partners in January 2021. Most recently, Dr. Gagnon was Assistant Professor of Medical Oncology at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine in Saskatoon, SK. Dr. Gagnon brings extensive knowledge and experience in the treatment of cancer in pets.
Medical Oncology Services
- Consultation with board certified oncologist
- Injection, infusion and oral systemic chemotherapy
- Metronomic chemotherapy
- Management of chemotherapy side effects
- Immunotherapy with melanoma vaccine
- Advice in treatment decision making
- Palliative care and quality of life discussion for cancer patients
- Diagnosis and staging of oncological disease
Treatment and prognosis discussion
Chemotherapy treatment and side effects management
Palliative care consultation
Post-surgery follow-up recommendation
Strengths of Services
- Our team is here to provide with the support and care you and your pets need throughout the treatment plan.
- Discussion of surgical, medical and radiation treatment options to develop a treatment plan that is designed to provide quality of life for patients and family. Referral to radiation and/or surgical oncologist can be recommended.
- Direct collaboration with other services and the referring veterinarians to ensure best quality medicine.
- Multiple diagnostic modalities available including ultrasound, CT, and 3T MRI, and non-invasive molecular and genetic diagnostic tests for lymphoma and canine bladder cancer.
- We perform neoadjuvant (pre-surgical) and adjuvant (post-surgical) chemotherapy treatment for aggressive cancer.
- We are equipped with an isolated chemotherapy treatment suite and closed system transfer devices for chemotherapy administration.
- Bisphosphonate therapy for dogs with primary or metastatic bone cancer and hypercalcemia is readily available.
- A 24-hour emergency service to allow continuity of care and management of possible chemotherapy complications. We perform outpatient palliative care supports for patients and family.
- Client education, ongoing care and communication, as well as patient quality of life, are fundamental to us.